Re: sander recommendations

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (local-british-cars)
Subject: Re: sander recommendations
From: mit-eddie!think!ames!amdahl!drivax!dambrose@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Ambrose)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 20:38:31 GMT
In article <9003211903.AA22049@potassium.cchem.berkeley.edu>
wilson@potassium.cchem.berkeley.edu (Michael A. Wilson) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>     As part of my self-imposed purgatory and MGB renovation, I need to
>completely redo the paint on the '77 B.  This thing looks like it was
>driven in a brake fluid blizzard.  The paint is (mostly has already)
>flaking off, and theres some superficial rust.  What is the best
>way to clean the surface of rust and old paint--- should I get
>a sander, or would a disk for my drill be ok?

        Having done it both ways,  I'd say get a small grinder.

        I once used a sanding disk in a drill for a big job, removing the (no
longer) antifouling paint from the bottom of a 21 ft sailboat.  I am wiser
now. ;)

        I recently purchased a Makita 4 1/2 inch grinder.  It is currently
one of the more heavily used tools in my shop.  The drill is going to be
s-l-o-w.  The grinder will take a sanding disk,  a wire brush,  or a
grinding wheel.  As I attack the rust on my '72 Landcruiser,  I'm using all
three at differing times.  The work goes fast enough to be gratifying.
The one I bought ran $100 or so but it is well worth it.

>Is it ok to clean
>and prime the surface, or should I have it painted ( I don't think
>that I have the facilities to paint it myself) right away, since
>I plan on having it painted sooner or later?  If my work of cleaning
>and prepping the surface has to be redone before the final paint,
>then its wasted effort...

        In a fit of expediency,  I merely primed most of my rust spots after
cleaning them.  Bad idea.  It rained and the rusted almost instantly.
Evidently,  primer is porous. :(

        Does anybody have any experience with these "rust sealers"?
Permatex markets one as do several other companies.  I have some areas that
cannot be ground out, yet have lots of rust.  I need something to stabilise
them adequately so we dont rust through again.

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc          ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose