Re: sander recommendations

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: sander recommendations
From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb%hoosier@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 16:18:00 -0700
I'd suggest getting one of those coarse paint stripping disks [3M?], looks like
a flat, circular, wire mesh sponge of sorts.  They cost about 7 or 8 dollars,
but do a pretty good job in a drill.  It might take two to do your MGB.

1.  Wash the car, removing the really loose stuff and dirt

2.  Scrub any areas of flaking with coarse steel wool

3.  Run the stripping device over the surface where needed.

4.  Chances are you'll get to bare metal, so prime it as quickly as possible.

5.  Paint it as soon after priming as feasible.  Chances are you won't be
    using something like Ditzler's DP40 catalyzed primer, which is waterproof.
    Most other primers ARE NOT waterproof.  The metal will rust underneath
    the porous surface, requiring the work to be redone.

I'm assuming you are using common garden variety spray cans here.  You could
get some clear (or color of your choice) paint to seal the primer if it will
be a while between the surface cleaning and real painting.

mjb.