Spitfire engine rebuild

To: alliant!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Spitfire engine rebuild
From: sgi!ames!amdcad!neptune.AMD.COM!zahid@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 15:55:33 cst
Seems like I won't be getting that newly rebuilt Spitfire engine
for my rod knocking 1500 engine anytime real soon. A friend of mine
who lives in Dallas offered me the engine but has gotten divorced
in the meantime. So they are doing a kind of custody battle over
it. So it's back to the original idea of rebuilding the existing
setup. I have gotten an extremely low quote for a major overhaul
which includes from British Parts in Oregon. Their kit includes
among other things a new crank shaft, pistons, rings, seals and
valves for $525. Am I missing something or is this guy over the
hill. Previously I had gotten from him all four shocks for 120
dollars, a Weber DGEV with mainfold and gasget set for $210, a
brake master cylinder for $80, clutch master for $32. All these
prices are very cheap and the list goes on and on. None of his
stuff is flakey or of unknown Australian origin (sorry I've had
some bad experiences with Australian parts).  I think $525 is quite
a bit cheap, I priced the crank shaft itself in town for over $300.
Is this what you guys normally pay for a rebuild kit? or do you
think something strange is going on. I'm thinking maybe I should
not send the cash as I normally do for this purchase.

On a different note, I may have an opportunity of buying a 68 E-Type
from my uncle at home. I think he'll let it go for $8000 since he
hardly drives it anymore because of the hard ride. What is this
car really worth? it's in above average condition and no rust.
I have reasons to believe that this is the same car that may dad
got from England in the late sixties and I'd love to own that part
of family history. 'sides it'll be a blast, I know 'cause I burnt
rubber on it once.

                                Zahid