Re: Spitfire engine rebuild

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine rebuild
From: mark thompson <mit-eddie!hpiaclh.hp.com!markt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 16:10:10 PST

> Seems like I won't be getting that newly rebuilt Spitfire engine
> for my rod knocking 1500 engine anytime real soon. A friend of mine
> who lives in Dallas offered me the engine but has gotten divorced
> in the meantime. So they are doing a kind of custody battle over
> it. So it's back to the original idea of rebuilding the existing
> setup. I have gotten an extremely low quote for a major overhaul
> which includes from British Parts in Oregon. Their kit includes
> among other things a new crank shaft, pistons, rings, seals and
> valves for $525. Am I missing something or is this guy over the
> hill.
I bought some parts from him for rebuilding my own 1300 spitfire and found
him to be good.  He had some really good prices and he delivered.  He seems
to sell alot to the racers.  He had some 1300 pistons for $120 a set which
included rings, bushings.  I had considered using the 1500
engine that you mentioned but decided to keep it stock. I think he is on
the up and up.  He mentioned that he is a direct importer which may account
for his low prices.  The 1500 kit comes with a reground crank.  I don't
know if you were getting quotes for a new crank or if they were just high.
He mentioned to me that he had a new crank that he could substitute
in for some reasonable price, I don't remember how much.  It sounded like a
good deal to me. BTW. He also caries TR6 and Jag parts as well.

Mark