Re: Spitfire engine rebuild

To: british-cars%alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine rebuild
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!chrisp%mrloog.wr.tek.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 27 Mar 90 08:52:13 PST (Tue)
>setup. I have gotten an extremely low quote for a major overhaul
>which includes from British Parts in Oregon. Their kit includes
>among other things a new crank shaft, pistons, rings, seals and
>valves for $525. Am I missing something or is this guy over the
>hill. Previously I had gotten from him all four shocks for 120

No, this guy is typically NOT over the hill.  His strategy is to
buy parts directly from Mother Brain...I mean England.  He buys in
bulk, has a pole building he stuffs these parts in, then advertises.
He makes a good living at it too.  When I first talked with him,
he was just getting into Jag parts (XJs mostly).  I'm certain he'll
have to add several more pole buildings to his property if his present
adverts are any indication...

>On a different note, I may have an opportunity of buying a 68 E-Type
>from my uncle at home. I think he'll let it go for $8000 since he
>hardly drives it anymore because of the hard ride. What is this
>car really worth? it's in above average condition and no rust.
>I have reasons to believe that this is the same car that may dad
>got from England in the late sixties and I'd love to own that part
>of family history. 'sides it'll be a blast, I know 'cause I burnt
>rubber on it once.

Two words: BUY IT!!!  If it is a coupe in mint condition, figure $20,000,
tops.  If it is an open car, eeewwwow, it's probably worth $30,000
MINIMUM! If it is a 2+2, well, its worth whatever one is willing to pay...

 Christopher M. Perez           chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
 "...[he] read the word engraved in the knock-off hubs, and I saw him
  mouth the word, "UNDO".  I thought for a moment he was going to ask
  the classic question, "What year UNDO is that, mister?"
        _Northeast by Westfield_ by Peter Egan (6/'84 R&T)