Re: E-Types

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: E-Types
From: mit-eddie!harvard!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri Mar 30 10:49:08 1990
|>'68 is typically called series 1 and a half.  For the purposes of value,
|>it is considered a series 2.  Its missing the features that make SI more
|>valuable, such as the factory headlight covers (which are glass, incidentally)
|>and the triple carb's.
|
|I thought that the series 1 and a half was the most desireable of all - with
|the same body of a series 1 (rear lights above bumper, covered headlamps etc.)
|and the 4.2 engine of the series 2?
|
|Please correct me if I have got this all wrong.

well, desirability is somewhat a matter of opinion and somewhat a
matter of market definition.  the 1.5 has some advantages and some
drawbacks:

   great looks of series 1, except for those cool headlight covers
   wimpy dual-stromberg carbs like series 2 (assuming it's a US model)
   better cooling system than series 1
   better brakes than old series 1, but same as later series 1 (i think)

and not even all the '68s are the same.  the early '68s have the same
interior as the series 1, but the later ones have the "naderfied"
interior (recessed door handles, rocker switches instead of toggles,
flattened window roller handles)

because of what "collectors" (as opposed to us hobbyists) have done to
the market, a typical '68 is between $5k and $10k less than a 64-67 in
the same condition because the 64-67's are more collectible.

when i was shopping for an e-type last spring, i had to make this
decision.  here's how i saw it:

   covered headlights + non-nader interior + triple carbs
      vs.
   better cooling system + better brakes + save $5k to $10k

considering that i plan to drive the hell out of this car, not just
polish and look at it, the '68 became the obvious choice.  i do plan
on taking some of that money i saved and retrofitting the triple carb
setup.  then i think i've got the best of both worlds.  (and even though
the headlight covers look great, they do tend to scatter the light and
thus make the headlights less effective, which can be a problem when
doing 140+ at night 8-O ).

just my $.000000002, your mileage may vary.

-tim