Re: British Parts

To: british-cars%alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: British Parts
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!chrisp%mrloog.wr.tek.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 30 Mar 90 08:56:42 PST (Fri)
>I was wondering if there exists any information source cross-referencing
>equivalent parts across british cars?  I have run into a few cases of
>same part different cost (or not available) already.

The Jag parts monger I knew in So. Cal. had a huge cross reference.  He
had developed it over 10 years of mongering, and guarded it with his
life!  It turns out that few good cross references exist without blood,
sweat and tears.  So, this guy provided his customer's with an excellent
service price-wise.  BUT, he was unwilling to divulge any part of his
parts numbers list...  I doubt things have changed very much.  UNLESS
BL finally got their act together, but this I doubt too.

 Christopher M. Perez           chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
 "If you've never seen an exploded drawing of a Jaguar rear end, try to
  imagine an aerial depiction of China in which each person represents
  a shim, gasket, stud, locknut, spacer, spider gear or bearing.  Then
  imagine yourself, director's megaphone in hand, trying to organize them
  all into some sort of differential folk dance.  The shims alone defied
  census..."  _Buying an old Jaguar_ Peter Egan (R&T 6/'84)