MPG

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: MPG
From: sgi!chromavac.csd.sgi.com!miq@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 09:35:13 PDT
Well lets see, on the autox Sprite (the infamous Car Zero) I run 100 octane
airplane fuel, which I usually talk my way into getting from the local mini-
airstrip in Palo Alto near work.  The car is DP classed with a 1275 bored 60
over, huffaker carbs, etc (all the gofast stuff) it gets about 20-22 miles
a gallon (though its hard to really figure, since the engine has only been
run for a total of 85 minutes this year....)

My street sprite is a Bugeye too (Car Zero is a 62 mkII with bugeye bonnet)
but a 61.  It has webber 45dcoe's carbs, a 1275 bored 20 over, and a vizard
cam (just took off the head for the first time so now I know), also a LCB
header going straight back through 2" exhaust and a 26" glass pack (for that
sporty rumble sound).  I usually drive it extremely conservatively (wow we
must really be speeding now, look at speedo and see we're doing 43, boy it
sure feels faster....) and get about 35 mpg, that's 6 gallons, 1 large bottle
of octane booster, and 1 quart of oil every 200 miles....

"What is the greatest joy?"
        "The joy of duty!"
Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq
415 960 1980 x1041 work