Re: MPG

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: MPG
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 25 Apr 90 08:59 -0800
>Speaking of octane, has anyone had experience with mixing leaded
>regular and unleaded premium? The theory is that the result should have
>higher octane than the unleaded rating. The folks at the gas station
>are going to look at me pretty weird when I try this...

I heard this rumor many years ago and I asked a couple of friends
fathers (both of them have phd's in chemistry) and they both gave me
the same answer.  The final octane level would be the average of
the two.  So, if you put in 5 gal of 92 octane and 5 gal of 88
octane, you would have 10 gal of 90 octane.

However, these chemists, were not in the petrol-chemical industry.
It could be possible (very remotely) that the lead in the regular
and what ever they add to the unleaded for higher octane react to
create a higher octane level.

Personally, I would say that my friends fathers theory (that it's
BS) has about a 99% chance of being correct (IMHO :-) ).

Has anyone heard of any tests to prove or or disprove the idea?

             Later...
                 Larry Schwarcz
                 HP Cupertino, CA
                 lrs@hpda.hp.com