Re: car names

To: alliant!Alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: car names
From: sgi!eeg.com!akkana@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Akkana)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 90 13:16:38 PDT
Well, as long as we're talking about car names:

My X1/9 is named Colibri -- it's Italian for "hummingbird", because the
car is colorful, small, and quick, and the day after I bought him, while
I was teaching myself how to change brake pads, a hummingbird kept dive-
bombing us, seemingly fascinated by the car's color.

The other X1/9 was just called the Slug (or the Fiat Slug for long) --
I call myself Fiat Slug racing, and that car really was a Slug, and
stubbornly resisted my attempts to call it anything nicer.

My 200SX turbo was named Sabra -- partly after an Israeli orange/chocolate
liquour, partly because I bought it just before I moved to the deserts of
New Mexico (someone told me that "sabra" in Israel had roughly the same
connotations as "muad dib" in _Dune_ -- it translates as "cactus" but also
means a native Israeli, or anyone/thing tough enough to survive in the desert).

My EX500 is named Ragnar, after a character in _Atlas_Shrugged_, and I'm
not going to go into the story of why he's named that.

The RD400 has stubbornly refused to take a name -- I've tried Kirin,
Artful Dodger (it doesn't handle well enough for that, though -- maybe
some other vehicle, someday) and a few others, but it's hard to stick a
name (and therefore a personality) on something that doesn't run for more
than a day at a time (I should have bought a reliable bike, like something
British or Italian :-)

Obligatory British car names: Gary's Spitfires are Akbar and Shitrah,
after a page from a Life in Hell calendar I showed Gary a few years ago.
(Shitrah is the one in pieces in the garage which may or may not get an
engine and a paint job someday.)

All vehicles named above are male.  For some reason, sports cars and
motorcycles usually seem male to me (well, they're supposed to be sexy,
right? :-)

        ...Akkana
"Jaguar: for men who want hand jobs from beautiful women they hardly
even know."  --Crazy People

--
        ...Akkana