re:TVR trivia

To: mit-eddie!ee.rochester.edu!paul@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: re:TVR trivia
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 17:56:48 -0400
Saturday, 5:15 am, wake up, have breakfast, lower the top on the MG Midget, add
1/2 quart of oil and kick the tires, yep, we've got air. Set off at 6:00am
and have a uneventfull trip to Kingston, NY for the start of the Outback IV.
Arrive in plenty of time to get tech inspection, sign the waivers and pick up
the route instructions. Fill up with gas, add another 1/2 quart of oil and
we're off at 9:17am. Arrive at the end of the odometer leg, feeling the crisp
New York air getting warmer and warmer.

Set off at 10:17am and try to maintain the required CAS, I am surprised by
the pace of the first section, but I have still time to admire the wonderful
scenery. Arrive at the first checkpoint a bit early !!!.  Set of on the
second section at a slightly slower pace and have more time to enjoy the
scenery. I notice a slight mis-fire at above 4000 rpm. I decide to ignore it
and assume that the plugs have fouled up a bit after the 5 minute wait at
the last checkpoint. Pass one of the locals shouting and waving his hands
in the air, I reply with a courtious "Good morning" and think to myself that
the natives are quite friendly. My navigator remarks that as to why he looked
so angry.

Arrive at the next check point and notice that the weather is getting a
bit warmer. The checkpoint card is duly marked with our in and out times
and we set off again.  I notice that the misfire is now a lot worse and
suddenly we lose all power and coast to a stop. The hood is raised and all
electrics are checked, remove the air cleaner and notice that no fuel is
coming though to the carb. A quick diagnosis verifies that the fuel pump
has decided it has has enough. The fuel pump is removed and separated,
I notice that one of the seating washers has become disloged. Slap the
washer back on, and replace the fuel pump. The engine fires on the second
try of the key.

Off we go again feeling rather pleased with ourselves. My navigator mumbles
"Miata owners, eat you hearts out !!". Start picking up the pace and notice
that we are leaving a very large dust cloud behind us. We catch up with
car 19 (we were #17) and decide that we have made up a lot of time. We keep
noticing that there are a lot of the locals waving their hands at us.
Arrive at the next check point and ask for a 3 minute time allowance.
Set off once more and immediately come to a halt because there are 3 rally
cars in front of us, with an irrate local telling them that we are on
private roads and asking what are we doing here. We decide that we are
not interested in her conversation and pick up the pace once again to
make up for the lost time.

It is getting very hot by now, and we are looking forward to the lunch break.
Notice that the misfire has returned. Sure enough 3 miles latter we lose all
power again. No need to diagnose the problem this time. The fuel pump
is removed and that dammed washer put back in its intended location.
We make a decision to continue on and we if we make it lunch with no more
incidents, we shall carry on after lunch. Finally we have time for
a break, pop into the local Friendly's restaurant for lunch. Add 1/2 quart
of oil, fill up with gas and start the afternoon section about 10 minutes
late but we make the first check point with only a 20 point penalty.

The car is behaving itself and feels strong above 4000 rpm, especially
useful because of all the steep hills that we have to negotiate.
Continue on feeling a bit tired and the heat of the day is starting to tell.
Hit a large pot hole and immediately hear a very loud exhust note, damn the
exhaust broke. Pull over to the side of the road and notice
the whole exhaust lying on the road. We decide that the day is over for us
even though we only have 40 miles to complete. Sit by the side of the road
and watch 5 rally cars comeby, we wave them jubilantly on. The 1/2" wrench
and a length of rope agree removed from the trunk and within 30 minutes we
are on our way again. We arrive at the finish, in time to return our score cards
but because of the long drive ahead, we had to leave early.
The drive home was uneventful and I finally pulled into the drive
way at 9:30pm. Phew what a super day !!!

PS - Richard - once again, thanks for putting on a truely wonderful rally.
PPS - Where were the rest of the SOL'ers ????

Sunday, 8:30am, wake up, have breakfast, lower the top on the MG Midget, add
1/2 quart of oil and kick the tires again, yep, we've still got air.
Set off to the local oval track, arrive and get the car through tech
inspection, I am ready for the first autocross of the season. Attend the
driver's meeting and walk round the course.  I am car #17 again, so I watch the
first few cars negotiate the course and decide in my mind the best route.
Watch car #16 go round, and go off to the starting gate. Rev the engine,
to clear the plugs and we are off. Negotiate the first set of cones, ram the
gearbox into second gear and hard on the accelerator. Once again hear the
exhaust note suddenly rise and realise that the exhaust pipe has fallen off
again. Ignore the scrapping exhaust pipe on the tarmac and set a time of
1:34 (fastest so far 1:29 by an Dodge GLH).

set the tire pressures. the second run is much smoother, and I set a time
of 1:31, with nothing having fallen off !!!!!

Third run is also uneventful and I set a time of 1:31 again. The weather
breaks and a sudden downpour signals the end of the day. Return home

Gerry