Re: Tales From the New Hampshire Woods

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Re: Tales From the New Hampshire Woods
From: leger@Alliant.COM (Bob Leger)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 14:52:01 EDT
Dale Cook writes:
|Jim neglected to mention that cook, fovnder of the flickering flame,
|arrived a good hour ahead of the competition (Bob "he must spend
|hours on those wheels alone" Leger, who went shooting past Rob's
|driveway despite: (1) a TR-7 sitting almost in the street, (2)
|Grandfather's sparkling presence a safe distance back and (3) Rob
|and I standing there wondering if that yellow lemon wasn't "one
|of ours."  Just goes to show how extremely quick those MG's are...

This was my first day driving the 250 since last October, and I was
having such a blast, that the cars/people at the side of the road were
but a blur as I shot past.  It wasn't until I came to the stop sign down
the road that I realized that I must have missed something and I slowed
to sub-light speed and doubled back.  Just goes to show how extremely quick
those 6-cylinder TRs are.

Talk about just-in-time preparation:  I finished assembling the car Friday
night.  The seats went in a 2 AM.  I started the car for the first time
at 10 AM.  I found a station to inspect the car at 11 AM. (no small feat in
"inspections by appointment only" NH)  I arrived at Rob's at about 1 PM.
All the effort I put into the gearbox rebuild was worth it: no more teeth
gnashing on a quick 1-2 upshift;  Downshifts are actually possible without
double clutching.  From the groove in the old countershaft, It would not
have been long before I would have had to tear it down anyway, probably at
the least opportune time.

I got a chance to drive Rob's "Killer" TR7.  This car is very fast, and Rob
says that more is to be had with a little tweaking.

Many thanks to Rob for hosting the gathering.

Bob Leger