Potporri

To: british-cars%encore.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Potporri
From: "Teriann J. Wakeman" <twakeman@APPLE.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 16:40:35 -0800
I just waided through 86 british car messages!!! Pheeu!! About 3/4 of them were
repeats.  Pleeeaase some one ... help!!!

1. Roadster Factory.
In their recent news letter, they mentioned that they wer considering going
on-line.  Maybe somone in the Far East near the RF could call Charles and
tell him about this mail group. We could be an exellent information and
feed back source.

2. Rebuilding Brake Cylinders.
I used to have frequent problems with leaky brake & clutch cylinders.  The
clutch slave cylinder was my nemisis for years.  It faces down.  I would
rebuild it. hone it smooth & have it leak within a couple of months.
Then I took a look at some new Lockheed cylinders & noticed that the inside
walls were mirror smooth.

Now I will hone a cylinder smooth then get out the 20K RPM grinding tool,
fit a small polishing wheel on it & get out the white rouge.  In no time,
I too have a cylinder that is mirror smooth inside. I clean out any remaining
rouge with a clean rag and brake fluid.  I have not had one leak on
me that has been polished. its been 3 years on the Land Rovers slave
cylinder.

3.Trying to fit into a GT6
First I tried a Mark 1 ... My knees were jamed between the stearing wheel
& door & transmission tunnel.  My hair brushed the headliner.

Second I tried a Mark II .. Still had the same knee problem but the MK II
seat seemed a little lower & also reclined. I test drove it & liked the way it
handled & accelerated. It was a pocket rocket.
The Mark II seat seat is contured with a head rest. Unfortunatly, the headrest
{non-adjustable} hit me at my shoulder blades .... ARG!!!!

The Pocket Rocket was parked next to my MGBGT. Talk about different approches
to design. The MG is maybe an inch higher. They both look like they have about
the same width & wheel base ... but the MGB has a higher door top, and is
MUCH larger inside then the GT6.

Unfortunatly, I also find the MG's seats uncomfortable {I can sit in the TR3
or Land Rover's seats all day without problems} My regular MG passangers tend
to bring small pillows that the fit between the seat & the small of their backs.

I was shopping to replace the MGBGT with something that I could use as an all
weather commute car that had a little more kick than the MG, & was comfortable
to sit in for a long trip.  The Land Rover gets too poor petrol milage,
has anemic horse power and take 6 city blocks to make a U turn. The TR3 isn't
weather proof enough for stormy driving. I do not have the funds for a TR250
with surry top nor a AH 3000 mk III with a factory hard top {my first two
choices}.  I do not completely trust the TR7's engine.  So the GT6 started
looking attractive.

At this point, I find myself asking if I would fit better in the GT6mk2 with
mk 3 seats & a slightly smaller steering wheel?? Someone mentioned that the
Europa & GT6 steering wheels had the same spline pattern. I could pick up about
an extra inch leg space by moving the seat belt mounting point. Any one have
sucess putting other seats in GT6s?? I understand that they are canted.

My other option is to find more comfortable seats for the MG, put in the
center arm rest from a newer MG & make due with the more anemic engine
{ it sure dosn't go like the pocker rocket}

I have had some suggestions to take the seat out of the GT6 & try driving
one without the seat.  Maybe I a little old fashen, but I kind of feel that
a car should have seats {I may be wrong of course}.

I'm in a quandry.  Suggestions welcome. Even from the party trying to sell me
the GT6 {I still want first choice}  Anyone have a reliable CHEAP TR250
out there or cheap enginless TR4A? Anyone have a GT6 resizer? Should I look
into MGCs{I heard that they were dogs that didn't corner worth beans}
Whats a girl to do??

TeriAnn
But Mom, the GT6 just followed me home.  Can I keep it?