re: stripped plug

To: "bcr!uxv.larc.nasa.gov!dave"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: stripped plug
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 14 Dec 1990 14:32 EST
Dave Hinde wrote:
>I've got a problem with my Conquest and would like to solicit some suggested
>fixes from my fellow "netters".  This past Sunday, on the way home from our
>autocross, a spark plug blew out.  It had popped out earlier in the week, but

Some stuff about fixing it deleted.....

>I was able to put it back in with no problem.  At that time it seemed to snug
>down OK, but I didn't apply too much pressure.  I had wanted to examine the
>BTW, I tried to get the dealer to fix it.  They were the last ones to change
>the plugs, but that was over 7,000 miles ago, when I bought the car.  They
>said that if they stripped it, it would have blown inside of 500 miles.

Of course the dealer would claim "Not Us".  Have any attorney's
as friends that could at least write a threatening letter or
make a phone call to the dealer.  Failing that I'd contact
the manufacturer and complain to the highest person (President?)
you can identify.  Now I say this on the assumption that since
the dealer changed the plugs 7000 miles ago, neither you nor
anyone else has removed and reinstalled them.

As to the dealer's claim that the plug would have blown out
within 500 miles, that's a claim he can't back up in any
empirical sense in my opinion.  The head (aluminum?) could have
had the threads weakened just enough that it took 7000 miles
of compression strokes before the threads totally let go.

Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com