Re: Body-off-frame experiences?

To: "Darrell Walker" <walker@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>,
Subject: Re: Body-off-frame experiences?
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 1990 09:01:28 EST
On Dec 20,  1:53pm, "Darrell Walker" wrote:
} Well, I am at a major decision point in the restoration of my 66 TR4A.
}
} So now I am asking myself, should I pull the body off, or stop now and
} begin reconstruction?
} On the plus side for removing the body:

You can get at a couple more places. Like the mounting points, which may
have some corrosion.

} On the minus side:

It can be quite a bit more work to get back together.
It may take quit a bit longer.

A general comment on body off jobs:
When rebuilding a car with deteriorated bodywork, it is best to do
as much reconstruction of the body as possible *before* removing
from the chassis. (Very important with coach-built cars) There are
a few reasons, one of the main ones it that if you remove a weak body,
it will distort, and will be very difficult to correct. When the
parts are replaced in situ, original relationships are maintained,
and individual parts and sections can be reworked, one bit at a time.
If everything is torn apart at once, much information can be lost.
Once the structure is sound, it can be lifted, to access remaining
areas, and the chassis.

} How should I lift the body,
} several strong friends?

Yup- you'll be surprised how light a stripped body shell is. A lot of
the weight is in the driveline and suspension.

      Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
        The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."