Re: New to the list

To: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones), british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: New to the list
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 1990 07:59:41 EST
On Dec 20,  3:33pm, Robert Jones wrote:
}
} ['72 MGB] will start and run, but only if I spray starter fluid into
} the carbs.

This probably means your carbs are severly out of adjustment. If
you can find sombody familiar with SU's etc., that would help a lot.
Make a friend of someone who has or works on MG's. Join your local
MG car club- there's lots of support in such a group. I think you are in
Ohio? Here's some old references:
Central Ohio MGB Assoc. : 3590 Eckert Rd. Lancaster, OH 43130
Lake Erie MG CC 15719 Chadbourne rd. Shaker Hts. OH 44120
MG CC of SW Ohio PO Box 32 Dabel Branch OH 45420

A Bentley or Haynes manual is necessary. I've included a copy of my
article on how to adjust SU's, even tho it doesn't yet deal specificly
with type HIF's, it'll get you started.

}     What should I do to this car to get it running?  According to stuff I
} have read (Haynes and Chilton manuals and a generic auto mechanic
} book) I figure the carbs need to be rebuilt.  What should I do to
} quiet the valve noise (it is pretty loud, I haven't taken it over 3000
} rpms cause it sounds like it is going to blow up)?  Any and all advice
} would be appreciated.

Making darn sure everything is adjusted properly is a good start.
You may have worn rockers, lifters or camshaft. Or, you may have leaking
exaust gaskets, which can sound pretty terrible.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!