Re: What spare parts are carried

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: What spare parts are carried
From: dsinc!cgh!paul@encore.encore.com (Paul Homchick)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 15:59:35 EST
I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the readers of this mailing
list keep a set of tools in the boot.  If this is so, then perhaps
these folks have already solved the problem of _what_ tools to carry,
and of _what_ to carry them in?

I'd like to find a tool-kit that was the right size (enough tools to
do the job, but not so many that gas mileage and acceleration times
suffer), and which did not rattle around.  A small plastic attache
case filled with tools and a cushion of foam rubber is what I have in
mind, but maybe a really good canvas tool roll would do.  Because
these tools are duplicates, they need to be fairly inexpensive, too.

My problem is that I can't find something like this.  When I walk
into Sears, I don't see what I want, and a quick skim of Hemmings
didn't turn up the tools of my dreams, either.  Any suggestions are
welcome.

As a starter, here is a list of what I'd like to see in the way of
tools...

   Phillips and Straight-blade screwdrivers
   Small assortment of nut-drivers
   3/8" socket set with ratchet & plug socket
   Feeler gauge
   Wrenches; one set open ended, and one set closed
   Small Volt-Ohm-Meter with clip leads
   Pliers/Vise-Grips
   Pair of Diagonal Cutters
   Small spool of safety wire

And while I'm at it, what kind of spare parts are carried?  After a
fan-belt, fuses, and bulbs, does anyone carry a fuel-pump?  Points?
Condenser?  Radiator hoses?  Length of 3/8" o.d. rubber hose?  What
else?