Re: What spare parts are carried

To: dsinc!cgh!paul@encore.encore.com (Paul Homchick)
Subject: Re: What spare parts are carried
From: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91 15:42:18 PST
Well, I carry my Lucas screwdriver-cum-feeler gauge
on my keyring (thanks, Chris!)  Other than that and
the wire-wheel bonking tool, I don't keep anything
in the car as a rule.  And yes, this is the car I
drive to work every day.  (Since it has to be reliable,
knock on wood, I try to do my work in the driveway
instead of by the side of the road.)

If I were going on a long trek, however, I'd take my
little red toolbox, which contains the tools I listed
a week or so ago.  Yep, they all fit in the box, which
is about the size of a lunchpail.  It's got one shelf
connected to the upper lid, and I keep the combi wrenches
and a few other necessities (pocket knife, Q-Tips) up
there.  BTW, if you've ever seen one of those socket
carriers (a strip of metal with 3/8" springs on them
that you can snap the sockets onto), they're good for
keeping your toolbox organized.

And yes, I really do keep screwdrivers in the toolbox.
In fact, I keep two kinds of screwdrivers in it: a nice
set of some brand-name (Stanley?  B & D?  I can't recall)
for actually driving screws, and a few cheapies for use
as chisels, minor pry bars, augers, etc.

As for spares, I don't even have a spare tire in my car
right now -- I took it out to put on the parts B and
haven't returned it yet.  Assuming that same long trek,
I'd also take:

  - Jumper cables
  - Duct tape
  - 2 quarts of oil
  - A bunch of shop rags
  - Hand cleaner

That's about it.  If you get Lucas points and tune up your
car regularly, they won't suddenly go bad on you.  Don't use
the Bosch points; I had several sets fail on me before I
wised up.  (The pivot shears off at the top and the moving
arm comes loose, which of course causes your car to stop
working.)

Of course, if I were really going on this long trek, I'd
also go over the car before setting out.  Then again, I've
just finished doing everything that I'd do on such a checkout
anyway, and I try to do that twice a year at least, so who
knows.  Maybe I'll drive to Los Angeles this weekend!  :-)