PLASTI-GAUGE

To: BRITISH-CARS@ENCORE.ENCORE.COM
Subject: PLASTI-GAUGE
From: WALZER%enp.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Date: 11 Jan 91 14:57:54 EST
  How does PLASTI-GAUGE work?  You put a piece on the old bearing and
clamp (install) the bearing. This gives a measure of the wear I presume.

  Assuming the bearing (only) wears, and the crankshaft (or whatever)
 doesn't,  what does PLASTI-GAUGE tell you that couldn't be determined
by mike-ing the crankshaft? That is: measure the crankshaft and calculate
the difference from "spec" measure, and buy bearings accordingly.

  Is PLASTI-GAUGE useful to verify that new bearings & machine work have
been done properly?

  DWhat should I expect the PLASTI-GAUGE to indicate for normal clearances
at main bearings & rod bearings?  The info is needed for a 1974 Spitfire
with 1500 engine.

Happy Healeying....
  Duane Walzer WALZER@ENP.prime.com   (508) 879-2960 x3482