Re: Re: rustproofing

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Re: rustproofing
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 11:34:51 pst
From: Mike Johnson <encore.encore.com!linus!mit-eddie!hpupora.nsr.hp.com!mikej>
Subject: Re: rustproofing

> The coat of Castrol 20W-50 under my '71 B works just fine,
> and it's constantly replenished.  I'm grateful again for
> the fine engineering of BMC to install an automatic
> chassis rustproofing system in the main bearing seal
> of the B series engine.
>
> --Scott "And the vent hole at the bottom of the bellhousing" Fisher

    Now you know why they call them "British Oil Engines".  The other
    advantage is no need to drain the old oil.  In fact I have heard that some
    British Oil Engines didn't have filler caps.  You just poured oil all over
    the outside, sort of like basting a turkey.  Then hoped that some would
    leak in while it was sitting still.  Course none of my engines work that
    way.  Must have been earlier motors.  Maybe the early Europas (;-).

    Mike Johnson

Come on now, lets not give the British full credit for this innovative
rustproofing concept.  In my VW manual it clearly states that the thin
exterior oil coating is intentional.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.HP.COM
CSX2282