Re: Healeys

To: yale!encore.com!british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Healeys
From: yale!harvard!ames!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@encore.encore.com (Rob Pryor)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 09:55:47 -0800
>mine's also got the three HS4s, but according to the registration is a '62
>model.  I've read the tri-carb production lasted about 6-9 months only:
>I may have one of the last ones build.

>From what I've heard though Healey Configuration Management was pretty
>casual: the stuff that got bolted on to any given car was based mostly
>on what was laying around the shop at the time.

The rules for international rallying allowed competitors to use what ever
KIND of carbs they wanted, but they had to keep the same NUMBER of carbs.
Dual-throat side-draft Webers were the hot ticket to high performance.  By
going to three SUs in production, BMC's competition department could use
3 45DCOE Webers.  The cars thus converted were campaigned long after
production went back to 2 carbs, even to the extent of complete rebuilds
after major accidents.