Re: value of a TR7

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: value of a TR7
From: brady_p@apollo.com (Pete Brady)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 17:15:18 EST
TeriAnn had some questions about TR7s.  I'll take a SWAG at this...

>> I have just run across a dead TR7 drophead sitting in a storage lot.
   Mine came from a "dealer" (you know, one of those fading paint/roadside
stand places :-),
   who let it rot around the yard for a couple of years.

>> The car is a white with baige interior TR7 drophead with the extra bump on
>> the bonnet that signifies a late TR7.
   At least 1979 vintage.  Mine is a 79/80 - it has a 1979 commission #, but
   1980 model year.  If this car has the gold corduroy seats, I need a whole
   new driver's seat, hint, hint! :-)

>> The top is up but is not covering a rear corner of the interior.
   Sounds exactly like mine. Because of the shape of the car and placement
   of the interior pads, the water runs right down to the footwells.
   The biggest problem with checking my car out at the dealer, was that Rob
   Rimbold & I were checking the car out after a rainstorm. We had to roll up
   our pants legs to get in the car since there was water up to the lower
   door sill... Check for rotted floors; I lucked out and was able to just
   sand & repaint the floors.

>> The body looks good.
   Remember that its a unit body car, so check for damage carefully.

>> the lein is for $525.
   I'd give him no more than $500 for it.  Sounds like its going to need a bit
   of work to get it running.

   TR7s are not worth that much (which is why I could buy one :-). One that is
absolutely
   mint probably goes for no more than $3-4,000. I paid about $1500 for mine,
which was probably
   a little high. The body on mine has a little surface rust but is solid (a
find in New England).
   I had to replace a few hoses, some minor seals, retorque all sorts of stuff,
buy 4 tyres (ouch),
   and fix lots of electrical gremlins. This winter, I'm putting on a Robbins
top,
   replacing some of the dried suspension bushings, replacing the clutch (I
have a singing
   throw-out bearing), and fixing the electrical gremlins again.

   It has about 70,500 miles on it and runs pretty well (usually 26-28 mpg)
even on rock-gut
   gasoline.  It passed the NH emissions test w/no problem, even without the
air pump running.
   It's paid for :-)  It's never stranded me. I'll probably keep mine until it
rots away,
   even if I do find that Triumph object of my desire: a TR-4/4A/250!

--pete

J. Peter Brady                              INTERNET: brady_p@apollo.hp.com
Hewlett Packard/Workstation Group Mktg      UUCP:
{mit-eddie,attunix,decvax}!apollo!brady_p
M/S CHF-02-MD                               PHONE: +1-508-256-6600 extension
7423
300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA  01824     HP TELNET: 256-7423