RE>Electrical Systems

To: Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com
Subject: RE>Electrical Systems
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 16:04:15 EST
   Date: 23 Jan 91 14:44:06
   From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>

       One failing of the older Lucas electrical systems, was the "two-fuse"
   philosophy.  The fuse box had two fuses, one for the horn, the other for
   EVERYTHING ELSE.  So if your headlight shorted out, the WHOLE CAR DIED.

Now wait a minute. You've got a TR2, right? As I recall, in the TR2/3,
the headlights WEREN'T FUSED AT ALL. The two fuses were for the horn
and the ignition/side-lights/etc. The Truely Devoted among us might
view this design as demonstrating Standard Triumph's great faith in
Lucas component quality in the late '50s and early '60s. I myself am
more inclined to think of it as a clever method of providing exercise
for emergency fire crews the world over.

                        -john