Re: Electrical systems

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Electrical systems
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 08:53:18 +1100
>One failing of the older Lucas electrical systems, was the "two-fuse"
>philosophy.  The fuse box had two fuses, one for the horn, the other for
>EVERYTHING ELSE.  So if your headlight shorted out, the WHOLE CAR DIED.
>
>Now wait a minute. You've got a TR2, right? As I recall, in the TR2/3,
>the headlights WEREN'T FUSED AT ALL. The two fuses were for the horn
>and the ignition/side-lights/etc. The Truely Devoted among us might
>view this design as demonstrating Standard Triumph's great faith in
>Lucas component quality in the late '50s and early '60s. I myself am
>more inclined to think of it as a clever method of providing exercise
>for emergency fire crews the world over.

The Moke's electrical is the standard 2 fuse Lucas job, but with an inline
fuse holder for the headlights.  The two fuses are for "always on" and ignition
switched power, and wires are connected on both ends of the fuses - makes it a
little tricky to find the right connection for new additions.  Multimeters come
in very handy here.

One question about fuses - the handbook specifies fuses which run at 17 amps
continuously (give or take a bit) but blow at about twice this current.  I have
yet to see a fuse which shows both values, so should I be using "standard" 17
or 35 amp fuses?  At the moment I assume the rating on ordinary fuses is the
blowing current (so I have 35 A fuses)

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |