Re: I'm back...

To: angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: I'm back...
From: Mike Johnson <mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 14:43:50 PST
[deleted stuff about how much a Datsun 2 liter is like an LBC.]

> The real dilemma I have to deal with now is, do I keep this beast
> for a while, or do I try to sell it and get what I "always wanted",
> either a Lotus or an early Alfa?  Any Lotus experts out there with
> advice?
>
> Wayne "glad to be back" Angevine (angevine@badger.colorado.edu)

Back in the dark ages (ie. during the "last war") I had a Datsun 1600
Roadster.  Nice car.  bought it because I (at 6'2") couldn't see stop
lights with the top up on the MGB I really wanted.  In Portland, OR. one
spends lots of time with the top erect.  Anyway I loved that car.  Had to
sell it when I left for Australia.

Whole bunch of years pass, I get older, and make more money ...

Year and half ago I bought a Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special.  As I look back
on it the car was in need of help.  No crash damage and interior in
reasonable shape.  But all the rubber bits were trash, so much oil was
coming out of the head block interface that the clutch was worthless and
the starter caught fire in the first week of ownership just to set the
tone.

Now to answer the question ...

GET RID OF THE 2 LITER AND BUY LOTUS.  If you like open air get an Elan.
If you used to ride motorcycles and *really* like open air get a Super 7.
If you secretly believe you can run rings around Senna if you could only
get the practice get a late Europa.  If you have *big* bucks get a late
Esprit or a new Elan.  Don't delay.  Do it now, don't think about it, "just
do it".

Flame protector on ...

Lotus will redefine the term "sports car".  They handle quicker than
anything I have ever driven with 4 wheels.  Maybe, as a marque, faster than
anything else the brits ever produced.  Sure they have flaws.  They will also
redefine your understanding of design engineering.  Make one thing do two
jobs.  That means that one part has two modes of failure.  Or put another
way there are two ways to break everything.  Redundancy is not a concept
Colin Chapman ever thought about.  But they are pure fun.  Some of the guys
in Club Lotus Northwest drive them real fast.  I get my jollies just
playing with it.  75-80% is fine with me.  And I have discovered Johnson's
First Law of Recognition, gender based: Women don't recognize what it (my
europa) is but they know it's important, men on the other hand don't see
it unless they know what it is and then they drive off the road in
excitement.  Remember the flame protector was on.

Flame protector off ...

Alfas, I can't help you with except to say that our club newsletter editor
(The Lotus Position) drives his Elan when he goes on Alfa club events.  And
he makes his living repairing Alfas.
--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             INTERNET        mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com