Re: Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part
From: andyh@hcxio.hdw.csd.harris.com (Andy Haber)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 16:27:40 EST

> .    All 4
>      cars looked like they had just been pulled out of
>      someone's garage after sitting for years, ie. rat's
>      nests, musty smell, and since 99% of the people who go
>      to this yard wouldn't have a clue what any of this
>      stuff is, very soon they will all be crushed and sold
>      for their weight only ($ 25.00 per ton I think).

Ah, yes, the smell of rotting automobiles.  I know it well.  A
friend of mine doesn't like to go to junk yards because he
always sees such a waste of what usually look like OK cars all stacked
on top of one another with doors and windows all left open so
the interiors rot out within days.

>  My friend here at work with the 17 cars says that Pick-Your-Part
> actually has a place in the valley where they stash old cars with
> the potential of being collectible; even parts cars appreciate.
>  So what isn't picked is packed for later.
>  Of course, I doubt very few Pintos make it past the crusher.

Down here in South Florida, space is at a premium.  I've heard that
commercial land sells for over a million dollars an arce.  Nothing
seems to escape the crusher here.  I went looking for parts for
my 69 MGB about two years ago in a local wrecking yard.  They let
you go pull parts yourself, as long as you sign a release form first.
I found 2 MGB's, a midget, and two Triumphs out in the yard.  I wrote
the serial numbers down in a small notebook that had my want list.
I asked if the guy would sell me one of the MGB's whole.  "No way",
the guy said, but he wouldn't say why.  I pulled what I needed at the time.
Six months later I needed a vent window.  No problem, I know where there's
four of them, I figured.  I called this place.  Nope, both those MGB's
had been crushed.  I looked in the phone book and found an ad for a
place that specialized in British Cars.  Their ad said MG, Triumph,
Jaguar, Rover, and all that.  When I called them the woman on the
other end of the line said "All the British Cars have been crushed."
I was a little crushed myself at that!  I called an auto glass shop,
but the girl there said she never even heard of a car company called
MG!  I evently found a vent window at another junk yard.

>  All these junkers are now hooked up on their own network.

They had something like this many years ago when I first started working
on cars.  It was sort of an audio loop.  Any of a number of yards
could get on the loop and start hollering about a particular part.
If someone on the loop had the part he was supposed to holler back.
Some of these guys got kinda carried away with this hollering.
--
Andy Haber    (andyh@hdw.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL