Re: Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part

To: "@encore.encore.com:andyh@hcxio.ssd.csd.harris.com"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: Re: Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part
From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 09:23:26 PST
          Andy's Florida junkyard horror story reminded me
     of a similar one that happened to me in Tallahassee,
     Fla. about 7 yrs. ago. At the time I owned a Series II
     Sunbeam Alpine that the previous owner had fitted with
     a 2.0l Pinto engine & automatic trans. I had bought a
     wrecked Capri with a four speed from a junkyard with
     the idea to put the trans. into the Sunbeam. (The auto
     was just NOT sporty at the time). The yard delivered
     the Capri to my house one weekend while I was working
     on the Alpine. As the guys were unloading the Capri one
     of them remarked that they had one of them Sunbeam cars
     back in their yard, cept someone had put a V-8 in it !
     With images of Tigers dancing in my mind I began
     pumping this guy for info about this "Sunbeam car". And
     then as innocently as it had happened, his co-worker
     says, " Nope, we crushed that one just last week."
          In my ten years as a Floridian I came to realize
     that the caustic combination of humidity and the
     oft-found lack of foreign car understanding ("Sunbeam...
     that's a Pontiac, right ?) usually spells a tragic & early
     death for some really worthwhile cars. The only upside
     of this is that if you found something it was usually
     cheap.
          Alright, who else out there has some incredible
     British-car stories ?
                          Daren Stone
                          HERMES::"dstone@sc9.intel.com"