Re: MGB tech questions

To: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: MGB tech questions
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1992 15:41:04 -0400
An impatient Teriann J. Wakeman scribed:
 Subject: MGB tech questions

:-)

> 1.  The workshop manual makes a big deal out of centering the transmission
>     front oil seal/ cover assy on the shaft.

>  Q. What do you do if you do not have the tool?

I've done it something like I do clutches- get a shaft or ring that's close
to the right diameter, and wiggle it around to get equal clearance on all
edges when the shaft it straight out.  (Hush up fizzballers)

> 2. I have found a reference to someting called a vacume switch for an
  overdrive.

Er, ah, mayby added to later cars? It could keep a downshift from happening
during hard decelleration?????

> 3. I need to replace the rear engine seal (68 BGT)

Well, it might not hurt to do/cehck the whole bottom end while you're there...

> Q. Where are recommended points to attach chain for lifting engine?

The rocker cover bolts. Having L-brackets makes that work better.
I use the rear manifold stud, and bolt through the air pump bracket
hole (where fitted)

> 5. I'm getting tired of having wet carpets in the GT whenever it rains. I
> have cleaned out the drain for the cowel vent.
>
> Q. Any ideas where the inside "rain" might be coming from? How to stop it?

Does it happen when the car is sitting still, or just when moving?
Are you sure the air intake drain *is* working, and that there's no
other holes down there?

If worse when moving; there is a "splash panel" at the rear of the front wheel
arch, from rocker to the top of the wing. (bolted in) It has a rubber
seal along the inside of the wing, which goes up over the triangular
structural member. This panel often rusts away in this climate (the
triangualr box section, too. :-( ) You may just have a problem with
the seal, which keeps water away from the hidden part of the bulkhead,
and the front nose of the rocker. Water should just drain out of that
"chamber", but the drain holds might be plugged. This hidden area should
be flushed from time to time. (rocker insides, too, if you have an
access hole, there are drain holes in the bottom of the rockers). It's
worth removing the splash panel, and washing out that area anyhow. You get to
inspect the front of the rocker, and inside of the wing. You may need a
torch to heat the bolt heads tho- try not to break them off. And, there's a
philips on the bottom, into the wing.

Water which runs into the fender bead will run into this area, which
is mostly sealed to the inside, but needs to be able to drain out down
by the rocker.

A couple more spots- the seals around the bonnet channel, (water really
should just run down the channel to the front of the car.), the pedal
box, the blanking plate on the other side of the car, the big oval plug
in the passenger firewall or steering wheel shaft seal on drivers
side, wiring grommets, wiper cover gaskets (those chrome, octogonal
covers that like to corrode in place do have paper gaskets),
or how bout the seals inside your heater? If water gets in there,
it may just want to drain out the ducts. You have to pull the heater
ducting, flapper door cable, and a couple other do-dads to get the
heater out, but it's sorta do-able.

If easy inspection fails, turn on the hose, and look for the flow.

> 6. My B tends to overheat at idle when the ambient temp gets above approx
> 75F.  I have 160F thermostat, correct timing, cleaned out cooling system,

Weak water pump, poor air flow around/through the radiator, plugged
radiator/cooling passages, loose belt.

I have seen B's run warm at idle on hot days, and cool down once moving.

> I would like to fit a coolent recovry bottle onto the BGT.  There is loads of
> room in front & to the side of the radiator for a bottle with a bottom mount.

Be aware that the radiator cap on a recovery system is different. (unless you
just want an overflow catch tank) It's a 2 way valve, with one pressure
point going out, and lower release pressure going the other way, so
that they can suck coolant back in as things cool down.

-----
Dang, she waits all these years to work on the thing, and now wants all the
answers right away! :-)    So, What else do you want to know?

   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!