Re: MGB tech questions

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: MGB tech questions
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 12:47:20 -0500
TeriAnn writes:
>It looked to me like there were 3 or 4 different ways to seporate the
>engine or car from the engine mounts 1. bolts holding bracket to engine;
>bolts holding bracket to body,
>bolts oriented the length of the body that appear to hold different parts
>of the bracket together, and bolts holding what appears to be two sliding
>plates together.  Any idea which set is the best for easy removal and
>matchup??

  The bolts holding the bracket to the body.  When you take these out the
  engine might settle a little but will for the most part stay where it
  was.  For alignment if used a small drift punch through one of the holes
  to work the bracket around until I can get enough bolts back in and no longer
  need the punch.  The mechanic I get parts from says there are supposed
  to be 5 bolts in the bracket but most are missing.  I only have 3 in each
  but there hasn't been a problem yet.

  If your transmission mounts look like blocks of black goo, replace them.
  You will find it much easier to reinstall them.

  Also, I didn't see any mention of the heater temp control cable being
  disconnected.  I remember this cable from a very embarassing engine pull,
  almost as embarassing as the time I tried to pull the engine/transmission
  without removing the shift lever.  Then there was that pesky little hose
  for the oil pressure gauge.

       Tim