re: TR-3 restoration help?

To: ccm!Greg_Meythaler@intelhf.hf.intel.com
Subject: re: TR-3 restoration help?
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 28 Apr 1992 16:00 EDT
>My intent is to take the rolling chassis (engine, trans, doors,
>bonnet, boot and interior all ready removed) over have him
>concentrate on the floor board, sill and seams that are rustiest.
>Then bring the car home remove the body, strip the chassis of
>suspension etc and take all those parts back to him to be striped.
>Then get the chassis and suspension powder coated, reassemble then
>replace the body to do those repairs.
>
>So here is my question/inquiry of anyone who has taken the body
>off the chassis.  How rigid are they? Do you need to fabricate
>some support in the doors to keep the body from buckeling on the
>sills?

I've removed the body and as long as the inner sills are intact,
you should have no problem.  I currently have a TR-3 body tub just
sitting on a single saw horse under the rear wheel arch area and
the front is tied up to the garage ceiling with a length of rope.

Once off the car, the tub is awkward, but not unreasonably heavy
for 4 people to lift and move, one at each corner.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com