Horsepower

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Horsepower
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 1 May 92 06:38:19
        Reply to:   Horsepower
    Why aren't cars rated in watts or BTUs like other energy-transforming
appliances?  I think that horsepower was a hype term invented by
turn-of-the-century automobile manufacturers, trying to sell their grossly
underpowered contraptions to a skeptical public.  As in:

     Look folks, our autobuggy is as powerful as TWO HORSES!

(fine print: can put out, for 100 milliseconds, as much power as two horses are
capable of producing ALL DAY CONTINUOUSLY )

   What's the standard for Horsepower, anyway?  Is there a Standard Horse kept
in a vault in Paris?  Or was it defined statistically, by flogging the
daylights out of a thousand horses on some primitive turn-of-the-century
dynamometer?

     - Jerry