Removing crankshaft nut on 1500 midget engine

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Removing crankshaft nut on 1500 midget engine
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Fri, 01 May 92 11:33:57 EDT
|Date: 5-1-92  11:33am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu}:INTERNET
|Subj: Removing crankshaft nut on 1500 midget engine
   Yesterday I found a 1 7/8 " socket to fit the crankshaft nut on
my midget engine (a bargain at only $18.00).  The engine is out of the
car which probably makes it more difficult to remove.  I tried putting
all of my weight onto the end of the wrench and the nut didn't budge.  I
didn't want to do this for too long for fear of the engine stand
toppling.  Anyone have any good ideas ?   It looks like I could remove
the crank without taking the nut and front pulley off and then take it
to a machine shop.  This seems like the hard way and I'd rather not do
it this way.
       If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

   Dean