Break-in

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Break-in
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 6 May 92 10:12:50
   Break-in
   Does anybody know how many miles the "varying speeds and loads" part of
break-in is supposed to last?  I'm getting tired of commuting to work on El
Camino ( our local "acres of shops & malls" street ).

    The TR2 owners manual doesn't say anything about "varying speeds & loads".
All it says, is to keep the engine RPM under 3500 RPM for the first 500 miles,
and don't "lug" it.   Now, 3500RPM is 70 MPH, which is plenty adequate to motor
up the freeway...

    Now I know that the "varying speeds and loads" is necessary to properly
form the ridge at the top of the cylinder.  But how many miles of it is
necessary?

  Owner's manuals all seem pretty poor in the matter of break-in instructions.
I get the feeling that they're reluctant to specify proper breakin procedures
for fear that the people won't buy the car if they do.

   One thing the TR2 manual DID say, was to pull the head at 5000 miles and lap
the valves.  I wonder if anybody ever really did that?

         - Jerry