More Dismantled and/or Broken?

To: zrol01@trc.amoco.com
Subject: More Dismantled and/or Broken?
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Wed, 20 May 92 13:28:44 -0700
Rick Lindsay scribes:

> BOY do I agree with you (second person plural).  Even my
> wife has no concept of WHY we work on our LBCs.  I have tried
> the 'it's enjoyable to tinker with the engine' and the
> 'continual attention to the LBC prevents trouble' lines.
> What I get in return is 'Why don't you get rid of those OLD
> JUNK CARS? You'd have a lot more time for the things you
> like to do.'   Aaaaah, there we are.  The misunderstanding.
> It is the 'OLD JUNK CARS' that I like to 'do'.  Granted,
> (some people think that) you can spend too much time playing
> but that is a measure of personal time management.

and

Scott Paisley scribes:

> Ask your friends to live with you for a while.  My wife understands...
> She understands that I need to see a head doctor.  She understands
> that I have that car apart - *again*.  She just smiles, and hands me
> the monkey wrench, er, I mean adjustable spanner.  I'll let you know
> when I can convince her that it is just APART and not BRokEn...

Remember the vows you guys said when you got married? Something like "in
sickness and in health..."...

Well you know that what we have is not ordinary fascination, or a hobby
for that matter. It may have started out that way but it has grown over
the years into what is known as obsession. Which I beleive would be
called a sickness of sorts. One that requires the use of a head doctor.

Scott said it best when he said his wife understands, she understands
that he needs to see a head doctor, and not the kind of head doctor that
one would see at the local machine shop about the head that you have in
there being serviced.

My wife understands also, in the same fashion that Scott P's wife
understands. The thing she doesn't understand is the expenditures for
all of the non-broken parts that are less than optimum (the parts you
replace because they are begining to show wear and tear and could fail
at the most in-opportune(sp?) time).

So we need to add a another calculation to the LBCQ formula. The one
where you explain to the wife/girlfriend, why you spend so much time AND
money on the LBC. This portion of the formula is quite tricky to
estimate because it varies from household to household, and the
creativeness of the explainer.

Bruce...