Re: Dead B in the middle of the garage

To: Don.Adams@ebay.sun.com, british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Dead B in the middle of the garage
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 92 15:53:40 -0700
Don,

First question:

When you removed the head to your B and looked at the head gasket, was it
blown??

?#2  Did you run a compression check before pulling the head?  Have you run one
recently??

?#3 Have you checked your timing?  was it on??

?#4  When you had the head off, did you run a straight edge over the head &
block to check for warps??

Bonus test:  Fill the radiator, leave the radiator cap off; start engine;
wait until engine comes up to operating temperature.  When (if) the
thermostat opens, you will have a noticable water flow (If you do not
see the coolent flowing suspect the thermostat).  Is there constant stream
of bubbles??? If yes you have a leak between at least one cyl & the cooling
system.  While you are at it you might want to check the temp. of the coolent
when the thermostat opens & again about 5-10 minutes afterwards.

Please answer the above questions & I will consult my answer '8' ball for a
solution.

Take care,

TeriAnn