Re: British Cars Digest #468 Thu May 28 01:15:02 MDT 1992

To: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush)
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #468 Thu May 28 01:15:02 MDT 1992
From: Cognitive Dissonance On-A-Stick <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 92 16:55:53 PDT
    >it might be neat to have some sort of discreet (No! Really BIG)
    >decal or grille badge that would identify members
    >of our illustrious electronic car club gathered here today.

    YES!  I like it.  It's a pity that the Net does not allow easy
    transmission of graphics, so we could toss designs back and forth.
    I think a decal is better than a grille badge; one can study a rear
    window much more easily than a fast-approaching grille.

What's a rear window? :-)

As I recall, this is why we never got anywhere with the design the
last time we did this exercise: everyone wanted something different
and we ended up not making anything.

As I alluded to before, I've been the T-Shirt Guy at least once and
I've been involved with club regalia on a number of occasions.  The
chief advantage that a Real Car Club (TM) has over SOL is that the
Real Car Club has a Club Checking Account to which member's dues get
deposited.  This account is then used to pay for the newsletter, to
put down deposits as required on club events, and to fund club
regalia purchases.  A club that has 200 members at $25 per member has
a fair sized working pool of cash (though the amount varies from
month to month).  Such a club can afford to make 100 or so pins,
patches, potholders, key fobs, nose-hair trimmers, or condoms if
there's enough interest in the specific product.

Unfortunately, unless Pat or Ed has a few hundred bucks lying around
to spend on speculation, we have to decide what kinds of things we want,
find out how much it will cost, have everyone send in their money, and
then have the stuff made.

The other problem is that these things typically have to be made in
fairly large numbers, which is why it's necessary to get something
like consensus before we start passing the hat, but then whoever
gets the checks will essentially have final say over it.

I've already placed my order, and that's firm; I'll hold out fifty
bucks or so to cover it whenever Pat or Ed gets ready.

--Scott