Re: Rust/Stop Prevent

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust/Stop Prevent
From: "Roy C. Wang" <rw0o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 14:40:17 -0400 (EDT)
> The last approach would be one of the "anti-electrolysis" devices sold
> by J. C. Whitless (and probably others).  Supposedly these devices
> introduce a small electrical current into the chassis which prevents
> or even reverses electrolytic corrosion.  Thoughts, comments, giggles?

Actually the chemical reaction of rusting or oxidation is just the
combining of metal and air.  Water tends to speed up the reaction and
salt water..... Well, the theory of sending a current through the
chassis messes with the ions etc of the oxidation process and thus
should stop the rusting process by drawing the excess oxygen ions to the
battery.  Dunno if this works in practice but I've read about it in
theory....