Rust/Stop prevent

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Rust/Stop prevent
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 16:41 EDT
The "anti-electrolysis" devices do indeed work on steel ships.
But they work because the vessel is floating in an electrolyte.
I think the protection only works below the water line.  You
still have to scrape and paint steel exposed to the air.  Might
be a useful approach for an AmphiCar, but unless your LBC
spends a lot of time floating in the ocean, save your money.

Anybody else subscribe to Skinned Knuckles?  Matt Joseph writes
a restoration column, and examined many of the available
"rust converter" products a year or two ago.  He made up some
steel sample plates with rivets, welds, holes, etc., applied
the various products and exposed them to weather and salt spray
for several months, reporting periodically on the results.
If people are interested, I could dig up the list of products
tested, and the ranking he produced.  POR-15 is what I have
been using, and it was one of the two or three best.  Plain ol'
Rustoleum was surprisingly good.  Many of the products were
totally worthless.  If it sounds too good to be true, it most
probably is.

Jim Beckman   AT&T, Middletown, NJ   att!mtqua!jeb