Re: badges, decals, or whatever

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: badges, decals, or whatever
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 13:09:43 CDT
pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier) writes:
>> Make sure you get [the British flag] right side up, except in case of
>> breakdown.
>
> Too subtle.  I bet not one person in a hundred IN BRITAIN would notice that it
> was upside down.

Oh, I think they would. They sure did in Tampa, Florida, a couple of years ago
when some bank came out with an ad campaign saying something like "we care
about international affairs" and displaying flags from various countries. As
you can guess, they got the Union Jack upside-down and offended a bunch of
British, including my dad. The bank representative said, "Oh, you must be
another Brit" when Dad phoned, and expressed little interest in fixing the
goofup or pulling the ads until Dad pointed out what a field day the newspapers
would have with the hypocritical slogan of theirs.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473