Re: MG Midget Clutch Release Bearing

To: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@cc.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Re: MG Midget Clutch Release Bearing
From: Scott Fisher <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 13:22:33 PDT
    Does anyone know where I could find such a part?  For that matter, does
    anyone know of a good source for racing parts for Midgets?

Victoria British sells one for $57.  Yeah, the old bits really do
tend to fall apart.  You can do your best to help by never riding
the clutch at the lights, but that's no guarantee.  I had one
fail for no apparent reason; I'd spent a long time trying to
bleed the clutch, and after a month or so forgot that I was doing
it for a diagnostic purpose.

Racing parts: see The Winner's Circle, the Austin-Healey Store,
FASPEC, Moss, and Victoria British.  In about that order.  (No,
Triumph fans, TRF offers nothing for Spridgets, as far as I know.)
TWC has suspension, engine, and body parts suitable for F, G, and
H Production cars.  The Healey Store is a little more suited for
vintage racing but they can get anything you want.  FASPEC is a
general Brit-cars shop but Stan Huntley (the owner) has a Sebring
Sprite and supposedly has a Le Mans Sprite coupe.  (You surely
know that Sprites and Midgets are identical, right?)  Moss Motors
is increasing the number of high-performance bits these days but
doesn't have the expertise that the first three do, and Victoria
British has about two pages dedicated to performance and racing
bits, all slightly overpriced (for Bs anyway).

    On another subject, I'm derusting all the suspension bits using a wire
    brush, steel wool, and acid.  Is there a better way to do this (barring the
    purchase of a sand-blaster, unless you know of a real nice, cheap,
    sand-blaster)?  Someone on another forum recommended using molasses - is
    this a joke?

It's a new one to me...  I recommend getting a parts washer if you're
going to be doing things like this often.  They're not that expensive
and the ability to cycle the solvent again and again will pay for itself.
You can soak the parts, use the nozzle to break some deposits loose,
and brush the crud off.