Re: Car Randomly Dies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Randomly Dies
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 13:27:28 CDT
brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter) writes:
> Last night on my way home from work and dinner the car decides to just
> quit. I mean really quits, everything quit, the lights give out, the
> radio quit, and the engine ceased to fire. Then all of a sudden I got
> this big shotgun sounding backfire with an accompanying BIG, like REALLY
> BIG black puff of smoke from the tail pipe.

Can you clarify a few things please?

- Was this at nighttime, with all lights blazing away, etc.?

- Did it abruptly die, like flipping off a big switch, or did it sort
  of fade away over a few seconds or minute or so?

- What did you do to get going again? (Assuming you DID get going again...)

On the face of it, sounds like you had some sort of massive electrical short,
a loose positive battery cable flopping around and grounding, for example.

-- Andy