Re: Car Randomly Dies

To: brucec@amex-trs.com
Subject: Re: Car Randomly Dies
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 13:30:40 PDT
>From brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter):
> Last night on my way home from work and dinner the car decides to just
> quit. I mean really quits, everything quit, the lights give out, the
> radio quit, and the engine ceased to fire. Then all of a sudden I got
> this big shotgun sounding backfire with an accompanying BIG, like REALLY
> BIG black puff of smoke from the tail pipe. Yes the muffler is still
> intact, and in the correct shape.
>
> My question has anybody ever had this problem? It is on a '77 MGB, with
> a '65 high compression engine, it has an altenator as opposed to a
> generator.

Sounds like your battery(ies) is (are) roaming around under the parcel
shelf, shorting out the +'tive lead against the body...

(Note that I'm a little ignorant of late model 'Bs as to the number
 and exact location of the battery(ies), but the story's still the same
 no matter...)

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA