Re: Car Randomly Dies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Randomly Dies
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 12:11:07 CDT
brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter) writes:
> Last night on my way home from work and dinner the car decides to just
> quit. I mean really quits, everything quit, the lights give out, the
> radio quit, and the engine ceased to fire. Then all of a sudden I got
> this big shotgun sounding backfire with an accompanying BIG, like REALLY
> BIG black puff of smoke from the tail pipe.

        I had similar symptoms on my Spitfire 1500 last Fall. I ended
        up replacing a lot of stuff, but I am pretty sure it was the
Allison ignition optical trigger unit that had failed.  I  sent it
to Allison and they replaced it for me, though admittedly, it could
have just been that wee drop of oil on one of the lenses that blocked
the light.

        There is a good chance then that your problem is also ignition
related.

Good luck,
Kristian