Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 13:31:44 CDT
akguc!tdm (Terry Mathis) writes:
>      I was in the basement last night and looked at the set-in windows
> for my MGA.  The 1.5 inch wide rubber around the window is really
> stiff.  It would be nice to replace it.  Has anyone ever done this?

Given the large quantity of vinyl and rubber bits in cars these days,
I was wondering what the net.wisdom is for preserving them, particularly
things like the windows seals, and especially on older fittings where
the P.O. didn't give them loving care since Day One, and the material
has become stiff (on things like solid rubber window strips) or filled
with tiny cracks (in formed or extruded foam rubber, such as trunk seals).
I can't afford replacements for all this stuff...

I've tried wiping the seals on various occasions with petroleum jelly,
silicone sprays, Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream, Armor-All Preservative
(which seems to work nicely but is difficult to soak into vertical parts)
and assorted instant miracle interior cleaners. Comments?

-- Andy