Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>, acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 09:23:19 -0400
"Andrew C. Green" scribed:

> Given the large quantity of vinyl and rubber bits in cars these days,
> I was wondering what the net.wisdom is for preserving them, particularly
> things like the windows seals, and especially on older fittings where
> the P.O. didn't give them loving care since Day One, and the material
> has become stiff

Not a lot you can do- real rubber deterioates, and once it's gone, it's
gone. Some of the first natural compounds were truely terrible- given
the right temperatures or chemicals, etc, your rubber boots or tyres
would melt and goo! Rubber is the one thing that probably goes away the
most on even a "properly" stored car. I think if you own a car for, say
50 or 60 years, and baby everything, while even the paint may last, the
seals will need replacing. A lot of modern seals are made with silicone
or other hi-tech compounds, rather than real rubber, and will last *much*
longer. It would therefore be desireable to replace seals with new ones
made from modern materials, rather than original stuff, when possible.
I wonder what Steele and Metro Moulded parts are using these days, anyhow?

While there are a lot of products on the market to make your rubber
look good, I haven't heard proof that they will actually preserve
anything. Things I know will help make rubber last longer:
-keep it clean
-avoid contact with petroleum products
-keep it out of direct sunlight

Things that might:
-silicone coatings
-other rubber treatments
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!