Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 12:13:22 CDT
Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com> writes:
> I'd be very careful about using anything petroleum-based on rubber.
> Usually it tends to eat rubber up...

Well... I suppose it depends on what you're calling "rubber". After all,
you've got some sort of rubber used for fuel lines. It seems like the
worst thing on rubber seals is direct sunlight, what with ultraviolet
light and all sorts of nasties like that. The rubber gets dried out,
stiff, cracks into pieces, etc. At any rate, the material undergoes
some sort of breakdown; whether it's actually "drying out" or reacting
in some way, I don't know. I see two ways of preserving it: (1) Seal
it up in some way (e.g. wax over it, as an extreme example), or (2) put
back whatever ingredient is lost over time (e.g. soak it with Armor-All
or something containing the necessary stuff).

-- Andy