Gookey windows yuccchhh !!

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Gookey windows yuccchhh !!
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 92 8:55:49 BST
Hi,

First of all a question :

The first thing I noticed after I fitted a new soft top to my Spitfire 18
months ago was that I could see out of the back of the car !!  This was
followed rapidly by the weird sensation of it raining and my staying dry !!

This hunky dorey situation carried on for 5 or 6 months and I then put the
hard top on. After cleaning and stowing my soft top for the winter. The
hard top came off when a convey of three topless spitfires went out for
tea and cakes at a local teashop on December 17th in the COLD sunny early
afternoon.:-).... Anyway I digress, When I put the soft top back on come March
it was still fine but rapidly got covered in gook from I know not where. I
can guess that maybe the trees had something to do with it (I had no garage
at the time :-( ).  The result is a sticky (when its warm and sunny) and hard
(when its cold and rainy) non-see through covering on my rear soft top
window.  What can I do ? Has anyone tried any solvants or cleaners that might
work and not eat the plastic ?  Even when this stuff is sticky it is impossible
to shift with warm soapy water. HELP !! I really dont want to replace it
but I might have to. :-(

Then another question :

Are there any gothas when replacing the universal joints in the halfshafts
of a spitfire 1500 ?  It seems like all I have to do is replace them with
no need to dismantle everything else.

Finally :

Hammerite has been around in the UK for some time now it does have a great
finish for chassis and some suspension parts, but there is also smoothrite
which has the same rust properties as hammerite but has.....wait for it....
wait for it.... wait for it..... a SMOOTH finish !!!!!!

Anyway let me know what you think about my latest idea of the following
transplant idea... putting a Caterham seven car onto some Spitfire front brake
disks !!!!  Aparently spitfire disks are used all round on a Caterham !!!

TC&TTFN (Take care and Ta ta for now)
--
|   Ben Hodson,            |   Email : hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk       |
|   Philips Research Labs, |   Tel : 0293 785544 ext 5750              |