Re: Parts cars for sale in Oregon

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts cars for sale in Oregon
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1992 10:00:57 CDT
lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye) writes:
> Anyway, they had someone bring them what used to be a really nice big
> Healey that had been transported like this.  What happened is that
> whenever the truck went over a bump, the car hopped a bit inside the
> truck.  Over the course of the drive, it managed to walk its way around
> the inside of the truck, damaging or destroying *every* body panel...

Urp... Um, look, I didn't say to just drive the thing into the truck and
park it... I admit that I also didn't say anything about strapping it down.
So:       I recommend that you strap the car down.       ;-)

But seriously, folks, one should never transport anything in the back of
truck that is free to move, no matter how heavy and immobile it looks.
Truck suspension could be politely described as theoretical, and any time
you go over a hefty bump, you can reasonably assume that the back end will
get airborne for a short time, then come crashing down. Ergo, anything in
the back that's free to move may also become airborne, and not land in quite
the same place. I spent a summer moving grand pianos and I know whereof I
speak. So after you pull the car into the truck with your heavy straps and
come-along winch, use the straps to tie down the car, and stuff the gaps
around it with rolled-up blankets, carpets or what-have-you.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473