Re: Major battery drain . .

To: british-cars@transfer.stratus.com
Subject: Re: Major battery drain . .
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 8:42:01 MDT
}The cables in your car may be kind of long.  It's real cheap
}to check all the connections (don't forget to clean up where
}the ground cable connects to the engine.  You can also use
}jumper cables to make a direct connection from a battery to
}the starter, bypassing all the old cables

I'm glad you mentioned the jumper cable test, it's so cheap and
easy that should be recommended more when dealing with
hard/non-starting engines.  Late one Sunday it dawned on me to do
exactly this on my hard starting Volvo.  Since it then started just
fine, it became quite obvious that the problem was in the ground
connections.  I drove around for the rest of the week with the set
of jumpers coiled in the engine bay before I got time to track down
the offending connection.  I really wondered why I'd never heard of
this simple diagnostic before.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________