Re: Major battery drain . .

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars
Subject: Re: Major battery drain . .
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 92 11:14 EDT
One suggestion - and another Eternal Verity - replace the
cheap things first.  Are all the cables and connections
solid and clean?  A corroding joint between cable and connector
could be a problem.  This sort of thing happened to me with
my (blush) 74 Plymouth Duster.  After getting a rebuilt starter
and a new battery, I finally replaced the $5 ground cable and
cured my hard hot-starting problem.

The cables in your car may be kind of long.  It's real cheap
to check all the connections (don't forget to clean up where
the ground cable connects to the engine.  You can also use
jumper cables to make a direct connection from a battery to
the starter, bypassing all the old cables (chant our mantra
as you make the connection - "positive earth . . negative
earth . . damn!" while doing so.  It really ruined my day
when I put the rebuilt starter on the Duster and nothing
changed.  Of course, the rebuilt only cost me $35 - one of
the advantages of old Detroit iron.

Remember - always try the cheap fixes first.

Jim Beckman   A-H 100      att!mtqua!jeb